General Information Sites:
Research Projects Sites:
News - Monthly and weekly articles about virtual reality,
games, and the business applications of 3D on the Web.
- Electric Poetic Space: Full Sensory Immersion
- Douglas Englebart's notion of the development of a synthetic
superstructure to extend our biological being for intelligence
- How Stuff Works: How Augmented Reality Will Work
- Illustrated narrative explains how this new technology will
further blur the line between what's real and what's computer-generated
by enhancing what we see, hear, feel and smell.
Isdae's VR Page - Includes the home of widely cited "What
Is VR?" paper and its update as "Introduction to VE Technology"
as well as his VRNews Technology Review articles.
of Virtual Reality and Broadcasting - An open access online
journal covering topics related to the fields of Virtual Reality,
Interface Techniques, Computer Graphics and Interactive Broadcasting.
- Lisboa Virtual - This is a simple interface for
a VRML model of the entire city of Lisbon as it was in 1999.
- Mellott's VR Page - Information on Virtual Reality,
Data gloves, HMD's, and various other projects.
- Scientific American: Augmented Reality: A New Way
of Seeing - Computer scientists are developing systems that
can enhance and enrich a user's view of the world By Steven
- Sci.virtual-worlds - Includes frequently asked
questions and related publications.
virtual realties in world 2.0 - How virtual realities and
2.0 thinking, are making a better world.
Reality Resources - Provides information on all aspects
of virtual reality, 3D computer graphics and real-time simulation
Terrain Project - Aims to foster the creation of tools for
easily constructing any part of the real world in interactive
- Virtual Worldlets Network - Working to advance
all areas of the sphere, from MUD immersion and fantasy development,
to CAVE research and scientific visualisation.
- Aspergers Syndrome Interactive Project - Investigating
the use of virtual reality to teach social skills to people
with Autistic Spectrum disorders.
- Cybersickness - Includes an on-line database of
literature and links relevant to the study of cybersickness.
- Experimental Motion Capture - A simple implementation
of motion capture using a single video camera. Project report
and source code available.
Performance Immersive Visualisation Group - Learn more about
the HPIVC and our IPT system also called CAVE.
Interaction - BUILD-IT is a graspable interface for virtual
environments based on real bricks.
- Intelligent Virtual Environments - Carlos Calderon's
research combining virtual environments and artificial intelligence
techniques to enhance the interactivity of a VE.
Modeling Virtual Environments and Simulation Institute (MOVES)
- Researches and provides education in modeling, virtual environments
Salford - Centre for Virtual Environments at the University
of Salford, specialising in Collaborative Virtual Environments
and Artificial Intelligence
- Optical Headtracking Technology - Real time optical
headtracking technology for virtual reality, military and cockpit
Applied Computer Simulation Labs - Focus on the development
of virtual training environments to enhance human performance,
with an emphasis on applications for physically challenged persons
and the blind.
- Presence Research Resources - An academic resource
site on virtual reality, telepresence and advanced media.
Center for Virtual Environments and Behavior - Multi-disciplinary
virtual environment research center at the University of California,
Santa Barbara. Uses immersive virtual environment technology
to study numerous aspects of human behavior.
- ScienceSpace Project - Explores the strengths
and limits of virtual reality (sensory immersion, 3-D representation)
as a medium for science education at GMU.
- Spherical Projection Interface - A Virtual Reality device
designed by the Laboratory for the Construction of Experimental
- TU Vienna Virtual Environments group - This page
gives an overview of current and ongoing research on virtual
environments at the TU Vienna. Projects focus on real-time graphics,
user interfaces and multi-user systems.
Geometric and Physically-Based Modeling - Projects on collision
detection, solid modeling, visibility culling, and simplification.
- UNC Nanomanipulator Project - A virtual-environment
interface to Scanned-Probe Microscopes.
Pixel-Planes and Pixel-Flow - Research in revolutionary
hardware architecture for 3D graphics.
UNC Tracker Project - 6D pose estimation for humans and
Walkthrough Project - Long-running project, whose goal is
to allow viewers to experience architectural models in a simulated
Institute for Creative Technologies - The ICT works collaboratively
with computer scientists, entertainment and game development
industries to advance the state of immersive training simulation.
- Virtual European Statistical Laboratory - This
paper describes the VRML implementation of the V.E.S.L. and
examines a number of advanced applications in the field of shared
Reality Laboratory in POSTECH University, Korea - Specialized
research fields include presence in virtual environments, three-dimensional
multimodal interaction, and software engineering for virtual
- Autofact Inc. - A software company developing
3D computer graphics and point-clouds process system.
3D - A complete system for creating and viewing multi-user
3D environments or virtual worlds that can be published and
viewed on the Web or locally.
- Cyber-Anatomy Inc. - This site provides VR software
and systems for learning anatomy. It allows the user to explore
anatomy in 3D using the most advanced methods. The technology
is available as turnkey systems, as VR software, and as desktop
- DirectX Developer Center (MSDN) - Includes information
about Direct3D - a real time graphics library primary for the
Studio - Tools for building real time 2D and 3D interactive
documents in DirectX 9. Results can be embedded using the ActiveX
player, or run as a standalone exe.
- Software for creating and viewing 3Dml - a mark up lauguage
aimed at the Internet.
System - Tool for creating virtual interactive 3D scenes
for publishing on the World Wide Web.
- Maelstrom - A leading immersive VR software production
Ape - A public access development forum for artificial intelligence,
simulation and virtual reality software.
- Industry standard 3D graphics software library supported my
- Software package that can be used for large and small virtual
reality projects. Supports caves, multi-beamer setups, stereo
projection, data gloves, trackers and other VR equipment all
driven by a very fast 3D engine.
- Main fields of application are cross-platform games and virtual
reality systems. Unigine contains 3D graphics and physics engine,
3D GUI, script interpreter and sound support.
- VantagePoint - Creators of Perspective, a VR viewer
that allows you to bring 3D CAD data into a virtual environment.
VR Solutions - Virtools Virtual Reality solutions enable
the easy creation of VR applications. Thanks to its visual programing
language development is greatly simplified. Its support for
most industry standard VR devices and displays (HMD, CAVE, Reality
Center ...) as well as PC cluster makes it a market leader.
Education Partnership Ltd. - A developer of virtual reality
visualisation software for the education and heritage sectors.
- Virtual Physics - Creators of The Physics Engine
for realistic physics simulation and modeling. Can be used in
games, simulations and animations.
Juggler - VR Juggler is an OpenSource (LGPL) virtual platform
for VR application development.
- VRMLmagic - An easy to use tool for creating interactive
3D (Virtual Reality) web pages in the VRML/X3D/Web3D format.
- WorldViz Vizard VR Toolkit - A virtual reality
development interface. Its Python based scripting language makes
3D programming efficient and easy. Virtual humans can be instantly
inserted into existing environments.