Valley *Cool Site* - Explores the history of
the Internet. Includes information on significant companies and Silicon Valley
- A Brief History of the Internet - An anecdotal
history by Walt Howe of the people and communities that brought about the Internet
and the Web. Includes a glossary of terms.
- A Brief History of the Internet - Microsoft explains
the origins of the web in ArpaNet, the contribution of Tim Berners-Lee, the World
Wide Web Consortium and domain names.
- Brief History of the Internet - Ross Shannon provides
an overview of the Internet's origins, from ARPANET and email to the Web. Includes
a breakdown of the components that make up the Internet.
- Community Memory - Archive of postings to this
discussion list dedicated to the history of The Internet.
History of 404 - The story behind HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found, and Room
404 at CERN. Wait for the real page to load.
- History of the Internet - Dr. Rognar Ismaellsen
covers the Web, ARPAnet, and TCP/IP.
- History of the Internet: Internet for Historians
- This overview by Richard T. Griffiths covers the development of computers, ArpaNet,
email, search engines and Basic Net Data.
- The History of the Net - A thesis with bibliography
written in 1993 by Henry Edward Hardy.
- History of the Web Beginning at CERN - Cheryl
Gribble gives a clear outline with bibliography and links to related sites.
Internet: Past, Present and Future: Internet and WWW History - Scholarly article
by Jesper Vissing Laursen on the development of the Internet.
- Internet Society: A Brief History of the Internet
- An authoritative history, written by some of those who were most closely associated
with its creation and development.
- Merit: History - Merit explains how it managed
and re-engineered the NSFNET Backbone.
- The Morris Internet Worm - Charles Schmidt and
Tom Darby explain the what, why, and how of the 1988 Internet worm.
NetHistory - A directory of sites on the history
of the Internet, Usenet, Web, email and related topics.
- NetHistory - Chris Condon's informal history of
BITNET and the Internet. Includes early net publications.
- Netizens Netbook - Anthology of the history of
Usenet and the Internet, including descriptive as well as theoretical work.
- OrangePeel.com: History of the Internet - Steven
Hartley covers topics such as IMP, Packet Switching, ARPAnet, and TCP/IP.
- The Role of Government in the Evolution of the Internet
- Robet E. Kahn's contribution to "Revolution in the U.S. Information Structure",
published in 1994 by the National Academy of Sciences.
- 80s BBS - Yahoo group dedicated to the preservation
of the history of the online world in the days before the Web (pre-1990). Text
files, old buffer dumps, BBS discussions, buffers, or anything related to this
era is welcome.
- Short History of the Internet - Science fiction
author Bruce Sterling recounts the early history of ARPAnet and the Internet in
this 1993 article.
Story of the PING Program - Brief article about this network utility, written
by its creator, Mike Muuss.
- A Tour of the Worm - Donn Seeley tells the story
of the Internet Worm of 1988 and how it effectively shut down the Internet. Proceedings
of the Winter USENIX Technical Conference, San Diego, California, January 1989.
- The World
Wide Web History Project - A collaborative effort to record and publish the
history of the World Wide Web and its roots in hypermedia and networking.
- World Wide Web
Journal - Published from the winter of 1996 thru the fall of 1997. All issues
online, including the Fourth International World Wide Web Conference Proceedings.
Web: Origins And Beyond - Lenny Zeltser describes some of the historical aspects
of World-Wide Web development, as well as other forms of hypertext such as Xanadu.
- Paul Graham - What the Bubble Got Right - Essay
derived from an invited talk at ICFP 2004. Discusses the dot-com bubble and lasting
lessons learned from it.
- SearchEngineWatch: Search Engine Birthdays - It's
been a little more than ten years ago that the first web search engines were born.
Chris Sherman charts the dates starting with WWW Wanderer in 1993.
From Wartime Tool to the Fish Cam - Scott Ruthfield
explores the beginnings of the Internet, development of IMPs and packet-switching,
ARPAnet, TCP/IP, and NSFNet, with references.
- A Short History of Internet Protocols at CERN
- Ben Segal traces the history of the Internet at CERN.