results from certain muscles tightening up or shortening while others
lengthen and become weak which often occurs as a result of one’s
daily activities. There are however, other factors which can impact
on posture and they include, other biomechanical factors such as
force and repetition, but more importantly it also includes psychosocial
factors such as job stress/strain. Workers who have higher job stress
are more likely to develop neck and shoulder symptoms.
can show up in a few different ways:
It can present
with rounded and elevated shoulders and a push-forward head position.
This position places stress on the spine between the top of the
neck and skull and the base of the neck and upper shoulders. There
is also a reduction in the stability of the shoulder blades resulting
in changes to movement pattern of the upper extremities.
It can also
present with a forward tilting of the hips, an increase in the curve
of the lumbar (lower back) spine and a protruding stomach. This
position places stress over both of the hip joints and lower back.
can also result in spinal and joint dysfunction as a result of these
Posture Page *Cool Site*
- Comprehensive information about several varied approaches
to achieving an easy, flexible upright posture. Many useful
- ABCs of Good Posture by the Father of American Education
- John Dewey's explanation of what's wrong with the usual
approach to good posture.
- Accent on Posture: Ease, Efficiency and the Alexander
Technique - Describes the Alexander teaching process
and how it can help with posture improvement.
- Adults and Childen - Advice for parents concerned
about their children's posture.
Seating Posture on Forward Sloping Chair - Good seating
posture from the perspective of a medical doctor.
- Body Stress Release - A technique designed to
release locked body stress and tension.
- Body Zone Posture Exercises - Information about
several posture education methods.
for Better Seating - Information about posture and good
chair design from an Alexander Technique point of view.
Posture, Ergonomics and the Alexander Technique - An
analysis of the effects of chair design by a teacher of
- Correct Posture - Well-written analysis of what
constitutes good posture, and how to achieve it.
- Correcting Faulty Posture - Comprehensive posture
information from a chiropractic point of view.
- The Effects of Posture on Learning: Implications from
the Alexander Technique - Study of children's posture
done at Leeds University in England.
- Equipoise fitness, Bath UK. highly qualified personal
trainers through the CHEK institute, Calif - Equipoise
Fitness, Bath UK, personal training specialists
Posture - A scientist's analysis of poor posture and
suggestions for improving it.
- Janet Wright Stands Tall with the Alexander Technique
- Overview of the Alexander Technique and how it helps improve
- Meditation Posture - A Checklist - Information
and tips on achieving good posture for meditators
- On Coming to Terms with the "P" Word - A physical
therapist takes a look at posture from the point of view
of the Alexander Technique
- Posture - A chiropractic analysis of good posture
and how to attain it.
Posture Ball - A product designed to encourage better
- Posture Education - Ergonomically designed seats
and back supports.
Posture Guide - Information about the Alexander Technique
and how it can help with posture improvement
inside - The Inner Dimensions of Posture - Buddhist
and Taoist training programs for developing good posture.
It - Posture analysis system for medical professionals.
OnLine - Eastern exercises designed to improve your
- The Posture Theory - Book outlining the theory
that poor posture is a primary cause of numerous other health
- PowerPosture - Neck and back pain program for
improved posture and physical fitness.
- Proper Seating to Maintain Good Posture at the Piano
- Information on how to sit comfortably at the piano.
- Reducing Back Pain While Sitting - Tips on minimizing
back pain at work from a chiropractor
- A Simple Lesson in Body Mechanics - Information
from a karate instructor, a physical therapist and an Alexander
Now - Training programs for individuals subjected to
computer and repetitive task related injury.
- Vinyasa Yoga Postures - The art of sequencing
postures and balancing them with counter postures.
- Walking Technique and Form - Learn the proper
form and posture for power walking.
- What's Wrong with the Chair: Sitting and the New Ergonomics
- An analysis of postural problem caused by most chairs
and how better chair design and the insights of the Alexander
Technique can help.
- Where do you Stand on Posture? - A physical therapist
explains how the Alexander Technique can help.
Society on Inner and Outer Posture - Taijiquan for developing
good posture and online posture program.
- Zazen Posture - A meditator's guide to achieving
content of the EDinformatics directory is based on the
Open Directory and is enhanced
using EDinformatics own technology.
Modified by EDinformatics - ©2004 EDinformatics