Choosing a weight-loss program may be a difficult
task. You may not know what to look for in a weight-loss program
or what questions to ask. This fact sheet can help you talk to
your health care professional about weight loss and get the best
information before choosing a program.
With Your Health Care Professional
If your health care provider tells you
that you should lose weight and you want to find a weight-loss
program to help you, look for one that is based on regular physical
activity and an eating plan that is balanced, healthy, and easy
|You may want to talk with your
doctor or other health care professional about controlling your
weight before you decide on a weight-loss program. Even if you feel
uncomfortable talking about your weight with your doctor, remember
that he or she is there to help you improve your health. Here are
- Tell your provider that you would like to talk about your
weight. Share your concerns about any medical conditions you
have or medicines you are taking.
- Write down your questions in advance.
- Bring pen and paper to take notes.
- Bring a friend or family member along for support if this
will make you feel more comfortable.
- Make sure you understand what your health care provider is
saying. Ask questions if there is something you do not understand.
- Ask for other sources of information like brochures or websites.
- If you want more support, ask for a referral to a registered
dietitian, a support group, or a commercial weight-loss program.
- Call your provider after your visit if you have more questions
or need help.
||Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
Phone: (202) FTC-HELP (382-4357)
Toll-free number: 1-877-382-4357
For the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) publication Weight
Loss: Finding a Weight Loss Program that Works for You,
go to http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/health/wgtloss.pdf..
For the FTC publication Weighing the Evidence in
Diet Ads, go to www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/health/evidence.htm.
International Food Information Council Foundation
1100 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 296-6540
Weight-control Information Network
1 WIN WAY
Bethesda, MD 20892-3665
Phone: (202) 828-1025
Toll-free number: 1-877-946-4627
FAX: (202) 828-1028
The Weight-control Information Network (WIN) is a
national information service of the National Institute of Diabetes
and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) of the National Institutes
of Health (NIH), which is the Federal Government’s lead agency
responsible for biomedical research on nutrition and obesity.
Authorized by Congress (Public Law 103-43), WIN provides the general
public, health professionals, the media, and Congress with up-to-date,
science-based health information on weight control, obesity, physical
activity, and related nutritional issues. Publications produced
by WIN are reviewed by both NIDDK scientists and outside experts.
This fact sheet was also reviewed by Susan Z. Yanovski, M.D.,
Director, Obesity and Eating Disorders Program and Co-Director,
Office of Obesity Research, NIDDK.
This publication is not copyrighted. WIN encourages users of
this fact sheet to duplicate and distribute as many copies as
Karma - Information for personalized, interactive and
sustainable online weight control program. Includes nutrition,
fitness tips, and stress counseling.
- ADietDirectory.com - Offers a directory of sites
including clinics, recipes, support groups, and weight management
- Advanced Body Mass Index Calculator - Calculates
your body mass index and shows statistics to compare your
body to others of the same height, sex and age. Handles pediatric
and older adult ages.
- All About Diet Plans - Reviews diet plans and
offers recommendations, dieting tips and information.
- Am I Fat?
- Find out if you are overweight and what can be done about
it. Includes an overview of obesity, weight tables, calorie
requirements, and a forum.
- Analyzing Weight Loss - Analyzing different methods
including fads, natural diets and exercise.
- BBC Online Health - Fighting Fat - Details on
how to keep to a healthy weight, eat well and reduce your
risk of heart disease, diabetes and other health problems.
- Calorie Counter - Lose weight through healthy
eating and exercise. Support, diet tips and chat room.
- Calorie Database - Contains a wealth of nutritional
information on individual food items, with detailed breakdown
of calories, carb, fat, and various vitamins and minerals.
- Calorie Management - Offers menu tools for weight
loss and control for health, for life.
- Calorie-Count.com - Offers a searchable directory
of nutrition facts and printable food labels. Includes a daily
calorie requirement tool to determine daily calorie needs.
- CalorieKing.com - A diet portal featuring free
diet plans and programmes with a powerful online diet diary.
- CalorieLab.com - Weight loss and calorie calculators
- Calories Per Hour.com - Calculates calories for
hundreds of activities and foods, BMI and BMR. Includes fat
loss tips and information on diet, weight loss and calories.
- CBC Consumers: Dying to be Thin - An in depth
look at the risks associated with diet drugs.
- CBC Witness: Diet Wars - The battle between millionaire
diet experts and the stunning revelation that 95% of diets
do not work.
and Fitness by iVillage.com - Diet tips, information on
how to maintain a healthy lifestyle, health calculator, find
a workout, keyboard yoga and online chats and discussions.
Food Facts - Comprehensive nutritional food statistics
directory for dieting. Articles cover various diet plans,
calories, carbohydrates and food fats. Tools include body
fat and BMI, waist circumference chart, and calories burned
Information - Providing an overview of commercial and
popular diet plans.
Tips - Has articles, links, and reviews about dieting,
nutrition, exercise, and other heath related issues. Contribute
an article to be considered for posting.
Tips and Tricks - Diet tips that explains what negative
calorie and fat burning foods are, benefits of exercise, and
tips for keeping a diet.
- The Dieter's Notebook - Offers feature articles
and links from Suite 101.
Review - Reviews the general guidelines and the positive
and negative aspects of most popular diets. Contains a selection
of weight loss tools and a forum.
- Diet-Links.com - Provides a directory of diet
and weight loss links, updated news and hot sites.
Guide - Offers advice on choosing from the many popular
diets. Also offers guides to additional resources for dieting
support and weight loss information.
- Dr. Weight Loss - Written by a doctor and includes
sections on cosmetic surgery, diet and nutrition recommended
- Eat Fat and Grow Slim - A simple explanation of
how most people get fat and how they can easily become slim
again without starving or enduring unpleasant diets. Written
by Richard Mackarness, M.B.,B.S.
- Fad Diet - A collection of fad diets, tips and
Burning Foods - What foods will boost the metabolism and
help lose weight in a healthy way.
Fat.net - Online guide to resources covering dieting,
exercising, slimming and losing weight.
- Free online diet and fitness journal. Input foods, activities,
and goals to create individual progress reports.
and Diet - An information portal for diets, recipes, fitness,
and support to help lose weight and get in shape.
- Free Diet Tips
- Resource for weight loss and exercise information, and low
- Free-WeightLoss.com - Offers dieters free information
and resources including chat, links, and professional articles.
- The Hacker's Diet - Billed as "how to lose weight
and hair through stress and poor nutrition," this is a serious
weight loss program written from an engineering and management
- Health Link MCW - An Article about obesity and
some helpful tips.
- 24 Hour Fitness - Offers a summary of ten of the
most popular diets on the market today, the benefits and disadvantages
of each plan and whether the plan can be maintained for life.
Not Dieting, Then What - Dr. Rick Kausman - Provides help
and support for people to achieve and maintain a healthy,
comfortable weight without being deprived of food or losing
quality of life.
La Puma, M.D. - Food and medical information, and recipes,
from a physician and professionally trained chef.
- KeepKidsHealthy.com - BMI Calcluator - Available
in metric or US measurement. Includes more details about the
average figures and links to further resources about weight
- Keys To Successful Weight Loss - Important keys
to successfully losing weight from a doctor plus links to
useful weight loss, nutrition, recipe, exercise and eating
of Carbohydrate Foods - Contains a searchable database
for the effective carbohydrate, fat and calorie content of
a large number of food items. It is designed for those following
the Atkins diet.
Lean Today - A portal to weight loss sites. Links to professional
and personal weight loss sites, fitness links, health columnists,
healthy recipes and other weight loss resources.
- LivingHeart.com - Individualized diets to lower
weight, cholesterol, triglyceride, blood pressure, and blood
sugar. Tips, books, online nutrient analysis of your diet,
plus nutrition counseling with a dietitian.
Body Weight - Articles describe changes in lifestyle that
will assist with weight management.
- Lose Weight. Gain Life. - Encourages healthier
living by consulting your doctor about weight loss, eating
healthy, and getting active.
- Low Carb Transformation Community Forum - An on-line
community for those who would like to find out more about
or have embraced the low carb lifestyle. Discuss news, challenges,
journal, get support and share recipes.
Carbohydrate Diet - Provides information and recommendation
on following a low carbohydrate, high nutrient diet plan.
- MayoClinic: Thinking about Weight Management.
- Tips on preparing for weight loss and general advice.
- MedicineNet.com - Includes information on therapies,
prevention and healthy living.
- Med-Psych Network - Articles, support sites, and
cartoons - all about diet and weight loss.
- Negative Calorie Foods - A discussion on these
foods and how they can help keep a healthy diet. Includes
a list and a page of links.
- NutriDiary - Free food and exercise logging web
application that tracks, analyzes, and graphs calories in,
calories out, nutrients, weight, body fat, and BMI. Also allows
weight goal and nutrition target setting.
- Download the Agile Body Mass Index Calculator 1.0 to calculates
BMI using height, weight and gender.
- One Fat Chef - Contains low fat recipes, weight
loss journal and progress, nutrition and exercise information
plus the famous one fat chef. Browse through the free online
healthy recipes for cooking ideas.
.net - Provides weight management resources, tools, and
- Peoples Choice of Ideal Body Weight - Study shows
that people's idea of their ideal body weight, depends on
their Age and current Weight.
- Practical Weight Loss - Calorie and BMI calculators.
- Prevention.com: Weight Loss - Free diet plans
and fitness tools to lose weight safely like calorie counters,
low fat recipes, personality quiz and weight loss forums.
- Self Regulation of Body Weight - Failure: the
predictable outcome of dieting, has bad consequences for the
dieter. This web site is designed to help people escape the
iatrogenic consequences of the dieting spiral.
- Slimmer's Diary - Weekly diary of our volunteer
slimmer who started The Anne Collins Diet on 26 March - personal
experiences, tips and readers' questions answered by Anne
- South Beach Diet Guide - Offers practical information
on getting started with the SBD, plus personal experiences,
a recipe exchange, and public discussion forums.
- South Beach Diet Information - Learn how SBD helps
to archive weight loss by consuming the right amount of good
carbs and fats. Also provide weekly diet plan and recipes.
Slim - Find resources for staying healthy and fit. Content
includes news, success stories, articles, a forum, and diets.
Stop Weight Loss - Provides information on programs, ebooks,
articles, diets, tips and tools.
- Suite 101 - Eating for Life will provide assistance
to control your life, and your diet; one week at a time. Offers
links and articles.
- Susan Powter Online - Offers information to lose
weight, become lean, strong and healthy, and look and feel
- The-Zone-Diet-Plan.com - Provides information
about the Zone diet plan. Includes an introduction, getting
started, and the science behind the plan.
- Weigh-Less - To attain and maintain the ideal
weight, the healthy way. Offers message boards, chat, exercise,
food for the soul, recipes and success stories.
Chart - Goes by height and frame size. For men and women.
- Weight Control - WebMD - Consumer health site
written and reviewed by WebMD doctors.
Weight Directory - Directory of weight-loss resources,
products and services.
- Weight Loss: About.com - Links to information
about diets, emotional eating, fitness, nutrition, cooking
and more, as well as weekly feature articles.
- Weight Loss For All - Provides weight loss solutions
through education. Offers articles on exercise, diet, fitness,
weight loss tips, and metabolism.
- Weight Loss for Good - Offers a variety of online
tools, diet and exercise tips, articles and alternatives to
Loss Help - Summaries, reviews, and recipes for weight
loss programs. Provides information for and feedback from
dieters on what works and what doesn't. Includes a support
- Weight Loss Index - Provides information on weight
loss, diet, fitness, health, and supplements.
- Weight loss Information - Including everything
you need to know from exercises, to diet tips, and motivation.
- Weight Loss Made Simple - Offers sound advice
in fitness, dieting, exercise, and motivation.
- Weight Loss Management Center - Expert-reviewed
articles offer tips and guidance on effective weight loss
planning. Also includes a free question-and-answer service
with registered dietitians.
- Weight Loss Products Comparison - Introductory
information on a variety of products.
Weight Loss Zone - Provides information, products, and
tools that will help you lose weight.
- Weight Management Center - Expert-reviewed articles
offer tips and guidance on effective weight loss planning.
Also includes a free question-and-answer service with registered
Watchers International - Official site providing information
about health, nutrition, dieting, exercise and fitness.
- Weightcheck - Online weight loss and exercise
advice with a personal advisor for motivation and help to
achieve your weight goal.
- Weightfocus - A comprehensive resource for people
interested in practical weight management information, including
healthy eating, sensible dieting tips, nutrition, and weight
- Weightloss and Diet Facts - Free articles discussing
diet myths and the difference between typical weightloss and
true fat burning.
Resource - Includes diet plans, pills, and how to talk
to your doctor. Features a body mass index and other helpful
- Which Weight Loss - Offers advice and reviews
on range of weight loss plans.
- Wholistic Weight Loss - Free tips, low carbohydrate
recipes and success stories. Re-vitalise your health, stop
food cravings and get off the diet treadmill for good.
- Winning with Wendy - Motivation and support for
Weight Watchers members. Includes Winning Points recipes,
tips, and links.
- Yoyo Club - Includes information about dieting,
diet plans, recipes, message board and women-issues.
Diet Info - Offers tips, frequently asked questions, and
menus for the Zone Diet.
content of the EDinformatics directory is based on
the Open Directory
and is enhanced using EDinformatics own technology.
Modified by EDinformatics - ©2004 EDinformatics