1)The earth is composed of four layers.
Which layer is continuously moving because of convection currents?
A) inner core
B) outer core
2) Mushrooms that grow on the sides of trees in a forest
ecosystem are best classified by which of the following types of organisms?
3) A student eats a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich
for lunch. Which of the following is NOT correct?
A) The enzyme ptyalin begins to digest starch in bread into
smaller molecules (maltose).
B) Digestion of protein found in the bacon begins in the stomach.
C) Digestion of fat found in the bacon occurs mostly in the
D) Cellulose in lettuce is digested in the large intestine
4) To stay alive your body must maintain a constant state
of internal conditions. Your body temperature must not vary by more
than a few degrees, the pH of your blood must be kept between 7.35
and 7.45, and the glucose level in your blood must be maintained within
a small range.
These functions are all part of a mechanism that allows the body
to maintain a balance between itself and the environment. What is
that mechanism called?
You may use the periodic
table for questions 5 and 6:
5) How many neutrons does an atom of beryllium have?
| 6) Group 18 has which of the
1) all the elements are noble gases
2) all the elements have a "full" outer shell of electrons
3) all the elements easily form compounds with other elements
4) all the elements have 2 electrons in their first shell
A) 1,2 and 4
B) 2 and 4
C) 3 and 4
D) 2,3 and 4
E) 1,2,3 and 4
7) The number of stars in our own Milky Way Galaxy is in
B) tens of thousands
8)A gene is a length of DNA that contains the instructions to
make a chemical in your body. Most of your DNA is located in the nucleus
of the cell. . The DNA in the human genome provides approximately
23,000 codes for different proteins. What is the site in the cell
that manufactures these proteins?
9) Shown below are the wavelengths for blue red and green
light. Which of the following wave patterns is red light?
10) What is formed immediately after fertilization occurs?
|11) There are six classical simple machines.
They are: lever, wheel and axle, pulley, inclined plane, wedge, and
screw. What two simple machines form a pair of scisssors?
A) screw and wedge
B) wedge and inclined plane
C) wedge and lever
D) screw and lever
12) Which statement correctly compares seismic P-waves
and seismic S-waves?
A) P-waves are longitudinal waves and travel slower than S-waves.
B) P-waves are transverse waves and travel slower than S-waves.
C) P-waves are longitudinal waves and travel faster than S-waves.
D) P-waves are transverse waves and travel faster than S-waves.
13) Which is a chemical change?
A) melting an ice cube
B) dissolving sugar in boiling water
C) boiling an egg
D) crushing a can
| 14) Which alternate form of energy is the most efficient,
15) A swinging ball is released from point A. Which statement
A) The minimum potential and kinetic energy are both at point
B) The maximum potential energy is at point A, maximum kinetic
energy is at point B.
C) The maximum potential energy is at point C, maximum kinetic
energy is at point A.
D) The maximum kinetic energy is at point A, and maximum potential
energy is at point B.
16) A strong cold air mass moves into an area of warm air
as shown in the image. Which statement is NOT correct about this system
A) The cold air holds more moisture than warm air.
B) The heavier cold air pushes up the lighter warm air.
C) As cold air rises it will cause water vapor to be pulled
out of warm air
D) Air masses with different densities do not easily mix.
| 17) What factor distinguishes a suspension from a colloid?
A) Light reflects off the particles of a suspension but does
not reflect off the particles of a colloid.
B) The particles of a suspension will sink out if left over
time to rest. The particles of a colloid will not sink out.
C) Suspensions are clear, colloids are cloudy.
D) Suspensions cannot be filtered., colloids can be filtered.
| 18) Because a tundra is a biome where the tree growth is hindered
by low temperatures and short growing seasons, it is most likely one
A) deep-rooted plants.
B) deciduous trees.
C) conifers and small evergreen trees.
D) mosses, grasses, and small shrubs.
|19) Living organisms are currently subdivided
into 6 Kingdoms (US system), including Archaebacteria, Eubacteria, Protists,
Fungi, Plants, and Animals. What is true about Amoeba and Yeast.
A) They are both in the same kingdom and both use asexual reproduction.
B) They are in different kingdoms and both use asexual reproduction.
C) They are both in the same kingdom but the amoeba uses asexual
reproduction and yeast uses sexual reproduction.
D) They are in different kingdoms and both reproduce using
| 20) On earth heat travels by conduction,
convection and radiation. How does heat travel in space?
A) only convection
B) only radiation
C) conduction and convection
D) conduction and radiation
| 21) The pH scale is used to describe how
acidic a solution is. Substances with a pH lower than 7 are considered
acids. Substances with a pH above 7 are considered bases. What range
pH would you find for seawater?
A) 6.5 -7.0
B) 7.5 -8.4
C) exactly 7.0
D) 5.5 -6.5
22) What motions on earth are subject to Coriolis forces?
A) All Objects on Earth will always deflected to the right
of their path of motion regardless of hemisphere.
B) All objects are always deflected to the left of their path
of motion regardless of hemisphere.
C) Only motions along the equator are subject to Coriolis deflection.
D) In the northern hemisphere the Coriolis effect causes deflection
to the right and in the southern hemisphere to the left.
E) In the northern hemisphere the Coriolis effect causes deflection
to the left and in the southern hemisphere to the right.
23) Which of the following statements are true about acceleration?
1) Acceleration is a change in velocity.
2) An applied force is required for acceleration to occur.
3) Acceleration can be either + or - in value.
4) A graph of x vs. t where x represents distance and t is time will
be linear for a constant accelerating object.
A) 1 and 2
B) 1,2 and 3
C) 2 and 4
24) Which characteristics does carbon possess that makes
it so unique for life and organic chemistry?
1) Carbon can form single, double and even triple bonds with other
2) Carbon has both metal and non metal properties
(3) There appears to be almost no limit to the number of different
structures that carbon can form
4) Carbon is one of the heaviest elements on earth.
A) 1,2, 3
B) 1, 3,4
D) 1, 3
|25) A chemical equation has the form:
6H2O + sunlight ---> C6H12O6
Which statements apply to the above chemical equation?
1) The substance C6H12O6 is a compound
2) The substance C6H12O6 is a mixture
consisting of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.
3) The chemical equation is the simplified formula for photosynthesis
which occurs in the mitochondria of plants.
4) The word equation for the chemical equation is: carbon dioxide
+ water + light energy ---> glucose + oxygen
5) The chemical equation is the simplified formula for photosynthesis
which occurs in the chloroplast of plants.
E) all of the above are correct