WISCONSIN STATE ASSESSMENT
The Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS) is a comprehensive statewide program designed to provide information about what students know in core academic areas and whether they can apply what they know. The WSAS includes:
- The Wisconsin Forward Exam at grades 3-8 in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics, at grades 4 and 8 in Science, and 4, 8, and 10 in Social Studies
- Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) at grades 3-11 in ELA and Mathematics, at grades 4 and 8 - 11 in Science, and at grades 4, 8, and 10 in Social Studies,
- ACT Aspire at grades 9 & 10,
- The ACT Plus Writing at grade 11 for Reading, English, Mathematics, Science, and Writing, and
- ACT WorkKeys at grade 11.
"...The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires all states to test all students in English language arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades 3-8 and once in high school. ESSA also requires students be assessed in Science once each grade span (3-6, 7-9, and 10-12 grades). Student performance on these assessments is reported in proficiency categories and used for accountability determination at the school, district and state levels. Wisconsin State statute also requires students to take grade 9 and 10 assessments as well as the social studies test. These tests together create the Wisconsin Student Assessment System..."
Home Page for Wisconsin Department of Education
Wisconsin Forward Exam
State Testing Program- Wisconsin Forward Exam ..."a high quality, research-based, and affordable assessment that meets Wisconsin’s expectations. It is a customized assessment with innovative item types that includes test items reviewed and approved by Wisconsin educators..."
For more information or to apply to participate go to the Forward Exam Educator Involvement web page.