have been to Nice, France then you must have asked: "what
was the origin of this pier ..."
1891 the construction of du casino de la Jetée-Promenade began...
it remained until the end of WWII when the Germans began to
dismantle the structure stripping it of it's valuable metals.
Timeline for the Jetée-Promenade
Construction of Promenade Anglais
Construction of casino de la Jetée-Promenade
1942 pier closed, as the Germans demolish the pier to strip it
of metals copper and brass...
1942, in spite of a deferment and some attempts at " soirées",
the pier closes on December 20, 1942 definitively. The Pier was
stripped of its coppers, its bronzes, its brasses, and its wiring
electric and any objects, despite protests of the President of
the Council d' Administration, Jacques Fastout. After the departure
of the Italians.
Germans in January 1944 decided to demolish the Pier to recover
the metal which constituted it. On November 20, 1946, l' Chief
engineer of the Highways Departments, by decree prétectoral: "
withdraw with the New Pier Walk of Nice l' authorization d' occupation
of the Maritime Public domain granted on March 31, 1879… the Company
will have to give the places in their states primitifs". The Company
calls some with the Council d' State, but in but 1947, it must
be solved to make disappear the vestiges. On July 13, 1951, the
Council d' State declares valid the decision of withdrawal of
November 20, 1946, the Palate of the Pier Walk definitively died.
La Jetee Promenade